Saturday, June 13, 2009

Bring back the short story!

Basically, I want to do just that.
The short story has, in recent years, been much maligned and/or ignored by the literary community. But since I think short stories are both fun to write and read, and since writing short stories is an great exercise in character-building and plotting that I never look down my nose on, I challenge you all: write short stories!
Share them if you feel like it. Or don't. Start them with "Once upon a time..." and end them with "The End." Or start in the middle and leave the ending ambiguous and unresolved. Just write them!
*ahem* I sound like my grade three teacher. Oh well. I think it'd be fun. Who's with me?

3 comments:

Rhiannon said...

Oooo...this sounds like fun. >:)

I've actually got a few ideas that I've wanted to try out as short stories...

Athena said...

I'm very pro-short story, but unfortunately, I kinda suck at writing them. I find they're never quite the length I'm trying for.

Nonetheless, I think this is a grand idea, and fully plan to attempt a short story in the near future.

E said...

Awesome!
Unfortunately, I don't think I can make a thumbs-up smiley.